Dry Brushing: What is it and why is it important?

Hello, my wildflowers 🌻

To understand the need for dry brushing we must first understand the lymphatic system and what it does. The lymphatic system is largely responsible for fighting infections and diseases. It carries access fluid from the body's tissue back to the blood stream. This system is composed of lymphatic vessels, lymph nodes, lymphoid organs, lymphatic tissue, and lymph. The lymph is a clear fluid that is brought back to the heart for re-circulation by the lymphatic vessels. If the lymphatic system gets backed up and isn't flowing properly then that means you are probably not feeling your best. The side effects of a backed-up system include things like headaches, brain fog, lack of energy, recurrent sore throats, swollen lymph nodes or tonsils, frequent colds or flu, constipation, unable to lose weight, soreness or stiffness in the morning, bloating, arm or hands falling asleep while sleeping, pain, pressure or stiffness along your spine and shoulders, acne, dry skin and other skin issues. And this isn't a complete list of issues that can occur when the lymphatic system is blocked. So now that we know most of us probably have a lymphatic system that isn't running as smoothly as it could be, what do we do next? 


There are a few things that can be done for this such as exercise, castor oil packs, rebounding, legs up the wall, massage, and dry brushing. Dry brushing is what we are going to discuss the most in this post. If you're interested in learning more about other techniques for this specific issue, please let me know in the comments and another post can be created to talk about them in more detail. 

Dry brushing is something that is simple to do as it can be done alone and in a short amount of time. It has been suggested that dry brushing should be done before getting into the shower. The reason for this is to be able to clean the body of the dry skin and toxins that dry brushing can create. As the picture below shows, there are different styles and sizes of brushes that can be used. The best option is whichever one you like best. Some people like one that they can hold in the palm of their hand, I've also seen circular ones, and ones with longer handles.

 When I first started, I bought a round brush that could fit in my hand and one with a handle but not as long as a shower brush. I started out using the one with the handle and just never tried the other one. I like the handle brush because the brush head itself is contoured a bit to fit the different angles of my body and allowed me to reach down my back farther. But again, its user pick as to what you like. The goal is to just do it!





Photo by SUN STUDIO CREATIVE on Unsplash

                                                                                   











                                                                                   
                                                                                    Photo by Content Pixie on Unsplash

Before you even begin dry brushing lymphatic pathways have to be cleared first. If we skip this step then when we dry brush and pull the lymph fluid towards the heart our lymph nodes can become clogged and cause a moment of panic when a lump is felt near the breast tissue, under the armpits, or along the side of the neck. The goal here is to eliminate panic and swelling not cause more issues. The first step is taking the first two fingers on each hand and create a circular motion directly under the clavicle on each side. This activates the kidney meridian which runs from the sole of the foot up the inner leg and through the abdomen ending directly beneath the collar bone. 

The kidney meridian regulates water metabolism; meaning it helps to manage hydration, urination, and fluid balance. Clearing the pathway of the kidneys is so important because the kidneys function to remove waste products and toxins and regulate levels of sodium, potassium, calcium, and water - all essential for nerve function, muscle contraction, and hydration. If this system is blocked, then it's no wonder that we feel unwell and stagnant all the time. That sluggish feeling and endless brain fog is your body's way of telling you something deeper is plugged and needs help flowing easier. And that is exactly where dry brushing comes into play. 

The next steps in clearing pathways to allow for fluid to move easier is to stimulate points under your armpits and on either side of the groin. This can be done by apply medium pressure to each area and creating circular or squeezing motions with your hands. These activation methods alert the body that it's time to wake up and be prepared to move the lymph that's been stuck for any period of time. 

Once the body has been prepared for movement, you can begin dry brushing. The goal is to move everything up the body towards the heart. I start with my arms, starting with the upper arm from my elbow to my shoulder I brush three to four times pulling up along my chest and making sure I'm getting all the way around my arm. Moving down towards my wrist I create the same motion and pull all the way up my arm. And then I move down to my hand and pull it all up to my chest. Repeating the same motions on the other arm before moving down my body. With gentler strokes I go around my breast tissue and brush down starting at the end of the areola. With the same kind of gentle pressure, I do circular motions on my stomach starting on the left side near my hip. Pulling down and going all the way around. Once I complete those motions about three times then I pull everything up towards my chest. The back can be tricky if you don't have long arms or a partner to assist. But usually, I do more pulling up toward the base of the neck with my brush than anything as it is the easiest method I've found up to this point. Moving to my legs, I do the same technique I used on my arms. Starting with my thighs and then to my calves and finishing with my ankles and feet. I don't typically run the brush from my legs to my chest, but I do make sure to pull from the feet up to my groin area. 

Red marks from the brush are completely normal and don't last long. The red shows where circulation has been clogged and is now moving. This is a good sign. A slight tingling sensation can be felt from the brush and also due to the movement that is now beginning within the lymphatic system. Finally, hop in the shower and wash off all the dry skin that sluffed off during the body brushing. Make sure to drink plenty of water to help rehydrate all those loosened muscles and keep the kidney's doing their job!



Keep blooming, my wildflowers 🌻

Healing isn't just about relieving tension - it's about creating space for your body, mind, and spirit to bloom. 

Comments

Popular Posts